Summer Home Mold Growth - Preventative Care
Mold found behind wallpaper
Summer is here! Now is the perfect time to make sure an optimum level of home protection from mold damage. Being one step ahead of mold growing, is the key to prevent a greater problem down the road.
Common places to control
Fungi normally needs a moist environment to grow. Typical areas where mold can be found in the home include:
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Around windows
- Bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms
- Basements and crawl spaces under the property
- Pipes and ductwork
- In attics due to leaking roofs
During the summer months it is typical to find higher levels of mold growth due to the increase in relative humidity. It is known that 65%-70% relative humidity will enhance mold growth. Your home air conditioning unit helps to control the humidity in your home during the warm months. Therefor, it is extremely important to keep constant air circulation in your home. Regular air filter changes and air duct cleanings can insure your unit will work properly all summer long.
Indoors Mold Prevention Checklist
- Indoor Humidity: Keep the indoor humidity between 30 and 50 percent and use a dehumidifier to lower when necessary.
- Wall Leaks: Weather strip and caulk leaky windows.
- AC Drain Leaks: Be sure the HVAC units drain properly. Have regular inspections of AC units to insure they are running smoothly.
- Ductwork Condensation: Inspect unit’s ducts for excess moisture. Repair or replace when needed.
- Air Filters: Use a high quality air filter for AC units, and change it regularly.
- Bath Vent Fans: Install bathroom fans to ventilate after showers.
- Window Condensation: Install insulated glass or storm windows to avoid condensation.
- Vent Gas Appliances: Make sure gas and kerosene heaters and fireplaces are ventilated.
- Roof Leaks: Check attic for roof damages, and repair.
- Plumbing: Examine pipes for leaks and insulate.
Outdoors Mold Prevention Checklist
- Blocked Drainage: Keep drains and downspouts clean.
- Foundation: Channel water from downspouts away from the house to prevent leaks.
- Water under house: Check crawl space for excess moisture.
If you find yourself dealing with a mold issue, no matter how big or small, the experts at SERVPRO are trained and ready to help make the situation "Like it never even happened."
Brazos Valley Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Brazos Valley for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Brazos Valley specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today! (979)779-3333
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Bryan - College Station Home
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Bryan - College Station home.
SERVPRO of Brazos Valley is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Brazos VAlley
SERVPRO of Brazos Valley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Restoring Your Bryan - College Station Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Brazos Valley
SERVPRO of Brazos Valley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Bryan - College Station Storm Damage
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in The Brazos Valley and surrounding areas.
SERVPRO ofBrazos Valley specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit The Brazos Valley, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today! (979)779-3333
Bryan - College Station Smoke and Soot Cleanup
We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Brazos Valley will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (979)-779-3333
Bryan - College Station 24 hour Emergency Water Damage Services
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we!
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Brazos Valley provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Brazos Valley arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Brazos Valley
SERVPRO of Brazos Valley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Washing Machine Hoses
"More than 80 percent of hoses fail between their sixth and tenth year of use."
A broken supply hose causes more than half of all water damage insurance claims. These insurance claims are costly. The average claim is around $6,000. If the homeowner fails to monitor the condition of the hose, it can burst. A busted hose can spill hundreds of gallons of water within an hour. A few tips to remember are:
- Buy proper length hoses when installing a washing machine or replacing old hoses. Select a length to fit the space rather than trying to force a proper fit.
- Allow enough space between the wall and the machine to avoid kinks in the hoses. Aim for 3” to 4” but adjust as needed to avoid sharp bends in the hoses.
- Inspect washing machine hoses regularly. At minimum check the hoses once or twice a year. Keep an eye out for kinks, damage, rust or snags in the braided stainless steel, and signs of a leak.
- Shut off water supply valves when not in use and when you will be away from home such as when vacationing. The constant water pressure on the washing machine hoses can contribute to hose failure.
- Replace washing machine hoses regularly. Read the manufacturer’s recommendations and install new hoses as suggested. If the hose is more than five years old, there is an increased risk of it wearing out. More than 80 percent of hoses fail between their sixth and tenth year of use.
Important information to remember about mold!
Mold found behind wallpaper at a local bank.
Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
• Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
• Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air, and they may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
• Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.
• Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
• Let your nose lead the way. Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
• Even higher than normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If you think your home or business may have a mold issue, contact the professionals at SERVPRO today!
it only takes one three dollar firework to caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in fire damages
For many Americans, fireworks are a hallmark of the Independence Day celebrations that binds the US in it's festivities. However, it only takes one three dollar firework to caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in fire damages to residential and commercial properties. Consider some of the following facts:
* in 2011, fireworks caused an estimated 17,800 reported fires, including 1,200 structure fires, 400 vehicle fires and 16,300 outside and other fires.
* There fires resulted in an estimated 40 civilian injuries and $32 million in direct property damage, with no reported fire deaths.
* On Independence Day in a typical year, fireworks account for two out of five of all reported fires, more than any other cause of fire.
So remember these facts as you are celebrating with family and friends! Have fun, but stay safe!